Recipe inspired by Delish Knowledge
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup orzo
- 1 cup Lacinto kale, chopped with large stems removed
- 6 cups veggie broth + 1-2 C. water, as needed
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 celery stalks, chopped (keep the leaves for more flavor)
- 3 carrots, sliced in half moons
- 1/4 cup dry white wine or cooking sherry
- 2 cups chickpeas
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary (or one sprig fresh, chopped)
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat a stock pot over medium-high heat.
- Sauté onion, celery and carrot until onion is tender and translucent.
- Season with salt, pepper and herbs.
- Add orzo and stir to let it toast slightly and absorb some of the flavor.
- Deglaze pan with white wine.
- Add stock + 1 cup of water and give it a good stir.
- Add chickpeas and kale.
- Let simmer for 10-12 minutes until orzo is cooked through.
- Stir in the lemon juice and let simmer another 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately and season with more S + P if needed.